Pages

Monday, December 10, 2012

Why

You should just expect posts to be late by now, honestly. ;)

I fully intended to do a Fashion in Film post today, I really did. Pinky swear. But I was doing some thinking last night, and today I'd like to present those thoughts to you in a rambling, formless post.

Source
Life has been crazy recently, as I'm sure it has been for you as well. The normal cocktail of school, work, activities, and other commitments gets a deadly shot of Christmas stress this time of year. And it's a wonderful and exciting whirlwind. Recently I've had to take a step back and ask myself "Is this thing I'm doing necessary?" I can't tell if it's prioritizing or being an expert procrastinator, but because of some major changes in my life and schedule, I know that I have the time to run this blog and do it well.

So why am I not?

Well, the easy answer is that I'm a lazy, unorganized mess. But lately I've also felt a lack of gusto, passion, zeal for the topic on which I am blogging. I still enjoy fashion, history, and the combination thereof, but getting my excitement in front of your eyes stumps me to no end. That's the one hurdle of art, I guess. Getting what's in your brain down on paper or online or on your piano or on the side of your neighbor's house (not the side of your neighbor's house, that's vandalism, not art).

I've been asking myself the same question over and over recently: Why do I like historical fashion? And the answer that keeps coming up is silly and sentimental, but the best one I can think of: magic. It's incredibly magical to look into the world of the women who lived before us. What we wear says so much about us, and you can learn so much about the history of the world by what women wore. It's one woman's story, the world's story, and our story all rolled up into one beaded, midnight blue chiffon evening gown.

So, it may take a few bumps in the road, several more posts may be late, I may disappear and reappear intermittently, and I may start some whiplash-inducing changes, but I'm going to do my best to continue delivering your daily dose of magic. Or weekly. Haven't figured that one out yet.

If you've been nice enough to stick with me through my incoherent drabble, have a clip of a scene from "The Hollow Crown: Henry V" in which Hal woos Catherine of Valois. Catherine's wearing a gorgeous 15th century gown, and there's the added bonus of Tom Hiddleston. Enjoy.

1 comment:

  1. For example, My Morning Jacket, Skylar Gray, Best Coast, and Bright . freshitunescodes.com

    ReplyDelete

,mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm'aaaaaaaaaaaakAAAQA

I was going to type something clever, but my cat provided this triumph of literature. Thank you for commenting! Just keep it clean, on-topic, and respectful.